The French Schools Abroad (EFE) are a network of five institutions of higher education and research governed by the decree 2011 - 164 of February 10, 2011. Established abroad in Greece (French School at Athens, created in 1846), in Italy (French School at Rome, created in 1875), in Egypt (French Institute of Oriental Archaeology, Cairo, created in 1880), Asia (French School of Asian Studies, Paris, created in 1898) and in Spain (Casa de Velázquez, Madrid, created in 1920), they have a triple mission of training, research and dissemination in the humanities and the social sciences.
Since 2013, they have been represented at the Conference of University Presidents.
In January 2015, the Schools established by convention a "committee of directors" with a rotating presidency, which acts as an authority for reflection and proposals for the network. Decree no. 2021-146 of February 10, 2021 (art. 18) recognizes this network in regulatory terms and defines its missions as follows: training and preparation for professional integration or career development of its members; research and its development through publication and dissemination; strategy relating to research data; convergence of scientific projects and pooling of resources.
The ResEFE has a “Service commun” established on the premises of the EFEO in Paris.
The ResEFE has a Strategic Orientation Council as defined by art. 18.2 of decree no. 2021-146 of February 10, 2021:
"The network has a Strategic Orientation Council made up of seven French and foreign scientific personalities appointed for a five-year term by the minister in charge of higher education, five of whom are nominated by the Directors' Committee. The members of this council may not be or have been directors, directors of studies, scientific members, directors of studies or lecturers for the Ecole française d'Extrême-Orient or members of one of the councils of one of the schools. This council supports the network of schools with its opinions, recommendations and proposals. The committee of directors informs it every year of its action. It may, on its own initiative, call the attention of the Board of Directors. The Strategic Orientation Council sets out its organizational procedures in rules of procedure."
Ms Nancy Berthier, Director of Casa de Velázquez, has been President of the Network's Committee of Directors since 1 January 2023, for a period of one year.
Composition of the COS published in the Bulletin Officiel of 12 May 2022 :
- Nalini Balbir, professeure des universités à Sorbonne Nouvelle - Paris 3 et directrice d'études cumulante à l'EPHE ;
- Marie-Luise Bech Nosch Gregersen, professeure à l'université de Copenhague, présidente de l'Académie Royale Danoise ;
- Philippe Charlier, directeur du département de la recherche et de l'enseignement du musée du quai Branly-Jacques Chirac ;
- Christopher Smith, professeur d'histoire ancienne à l'University of St Andrews, Executive Chair of The Arts and Humanities Research Council ;
- Jean Winand, professeur ordinaire et premier vice-recteur de l'université de Liège.
- Silvia Marzagalli, professeure d'histoire moderne, Université Côte d'Azur ;
- Edhem Eldem, professeur d'histoire à l'Université de Bogaziçi, chaire internationale d'histoire turque et ottomane au Collège de France.
The President of the COS is Philippe Charlier.
The President of the Réseau
Nancy Berthier is the President of the Réseau, since January 1, 2023.